Packing fragile items can be very stressful. Accidents happen but there are some things that you can do to help protect your fragile items while packing and in transport. Check out these 8 tips to packing fragile items.
- Start early – When you rush, accidents happen. Starting early will allow you to take your time and pack each item properly. Of course, some items will be in use until closer to moving day but many items can be packed now. Think about the fine china that you never use or the crystal and porcelain knick-knacks in your curio cabinet.
- Get the right supplies – You need to stock up on sturdy, new boxes, packing paper, bubble wrap and tape. There are specialty boxes, like dishpacks, that can make packing easier. Notice I specified NEW boxes. Used boxes are weakened from prior use so they are more likely to collapse and cause damage.
- Staging Site – Stage an area to pack your fragile items. Have all your supplies handy and lay furniture pads or smooth blanket over table or surface. Nobody is perfect so chances are you may drop something while trying to wrap and pack it. Having a padded surface will help prevent damage while you handle these items.
- Pack tight – You want items to fit snuggly into the box. If there is wiggle room, things can shift and break. That is one reason the dishpack boxes are so helpful – they have individual cells for each item. You put dividers in place around each item.
- Pad the bottom – Before putting anything into the box, crumple paper and place at the bottom.
- Stand plates – Plates should be packed standing vertically. Use paper and bubble wrap to wrap and pack each plate in the box. The crumple paper to pad the top just like you did the bottom of the box.
- Wrap glasses – Wrap each glass individually and crumple paper balls inside each glass.
- Mark the box – Write “fragile” on sides and top of each box. Notify your Kalamazoo movers so they keep their eyes out for these boxes so they can use extra caution and care while moving them.
If packing these items still stresses you out, you can always call your Kalamazoo mover for help. We do offer packing services that can be customized to your needs. We can pack the entire house for you or we can simply help pack a few boxes of china. If you want more information or would like a quote for packing, just contact our office today!